Last week I was excited to attend the Fall Fashion Tour at my local Belk department store (well, I was mostly nervous to attend because I didn't want to make a fool of myself). It was hosted by Arlene Goldstein, Belk's vice president of trend merchandising and self-proclaimed "fashion forecaster". Growing up I devoured the September issue of Seventeen magazine, so I've always been interested in fashion, especially fall fashion. It was twice as big as other issues and was full of back-to-school looks.
I guess I've never really grown out of that. As a teacher I feel like my new year begins when school starts back, and just like when I was a teenager, I always daydream about the cool and pretty new things I need to buy! So here's the low down on what you need in your closet for those crisp fall months coming up (so ready!)!
1. Blazers- Hey remember all those awesome blazers most of you already own? Well, don't pack them up yet, because they are still going to be hot for fall. Good investment, ladies! Guess it's time to get my own!
2. Ankle Pants- I know, I know, you are thinking "What? In the fall?" Look, I'm not the fashion forecaster, but I do know that my falls and winters are mild enough to wear ankle pants, especially if you spend most of your time indoors. This is another item you may still have in your closet from spring and early summer wear.
3. Bright Colors- As you can tell from the above photo, bright and vibrant colors are still going to be popular in the fall. This is weird for me because I always think "Fall Colors", you know? Brown, red, orange, etc. To be bright colors are a spring and summer thing, so it's going to be weird getting used to this, but I'm going to do it because I've got tons of color in the closet right ow!
4. Beautiful Blouses- The fall is going to see lots of super feminine details- lace especially- on your blouses. I love a good classic lady-like style, so I am excited. If you are a fan of The Great Gatsby and excited about the upcoming movie, then you will love this trend!
5. The Shift Dress- I never knew the real difference between a SHIFT and a SHEATH dress. Do you?
Well, a sheath dress is cut closer to the body, going along the natural curves of a woman, while a shift dress hangs straight from the shoulder, no hugging, no contouring (therefore much more flattering to all body types). I know I need to check all of my dresses to see if they are shifts or sheaths, but I'd also be willing to go ahead and buy this beautiful yellow number. Totally mod, right?
6. Pencil Skirt- Are you as happy to hear this essential is still hanging around?! I sure was. Hey, I've got tons of pencil skirts. Woo hoo! Details like lace and peplums will still be right on target for fall fashion, so if you've been holding out on the peplums (ahem, Katie...) then you still have time to hop on board!
There are six other fashion must haves for fall but I didn't want to overwhelm you with too much information at one time. Plus I really hate post that are full of random pictures and none of the blogger, so if you are like that I really apologize; however, I thought most of you would be interested in shopping your closet to see what you already for to be a knockout this fall!