1. New Shape Sweaters- Dolman sleeves and boxy cuts are still going to be big for sweaters. Look for draping necklines, wide sleeves and asymmetric hems. My sweater collection had been lacking, but I did hit Eloquii up at the end of winter and got a few sweaters I am excited to wear should I ever see cooler weather! If you have limited yourself to plain pull-over sweaters, step out a little this season with something new and unexpected (Old Navy always has a great selection of inexpensive and trendy sweaters!).
2. Cross Body Handbags- Yes! I bough one of these babies last year at Kohl's and I loved it! I am thrilled that this small, utilitarian handbags will still be in style. They are great for everyday use, and once you've tried a cross-body style you'll understand why! They are cute and functional. I love them for travel or all-day shopping because they are light, they keep both your hands free, and they keep your valuables close to you. I have a basic camel-colored cross body bag, so I will be looking for one in a beautiful jewel tone for this fall!
3. Glitz before Six- I have to admit, I am most excited about this trend. Bring out the shimmer, glimmer, and sequins for day wear, not just after dark! Naturally you will be using small doses of "glitz", but a little goes a long way to added both texture and interest to your daily work wear. I have a subtly sequined top in a variety of gold shades that I will be able to layer, but I will absolutely be looking for other pieces to add to my collection. Maybe a sparkly blouse or loafers?
4. Metal Collars/Bib Necklaces- Statement Necklaces aren't going anywhere, but the shape is definitely changing. Bib and Collar necklaces in varying shades of metal will be big for fall. I found a great variety online at Forever 21, but I hesitated to buy one. I will have to try one on in person. I am a little unsure of this particular trend on me personally, but I am certainly willing to try!
5. Big, Chunky Watches- Over-sized, menswear-inspired wrist watches are going to be the guest of honor at the arm party this year, so even if you are having a party of one, make it this signature piece. Like the cross body handbag, chunky watches are the perfect mix of form and function. The most stylish pieces will be forged from warm rose gold, and I am on the lookout for an inexpensive version to add to my jewelry box (if you find some, let me know!).
6. Boots and Booties- Shine up all those boots and booties you bought last fall because they are right back on your feet for this fall! Last year I think I bought nearly every boot Old Navy offered. Equestrian inspired flat riding boots will still be big, and so will boots of every heel size and height. Booties will still be paired with everything from pants to skirts. I may venture into some higher heeled boots this fall, but standing all day is an important factor of my shoe-buying process!
So there you have it! These are the twelve things the "experts" say will be must fashionable for this upcoming fall season. Are you ready to go shopping yet? What will you be adding to your closet?